We don’t often suggest any drinks ideas for your lunch box, but this pink fizz did catch our eye. It’s just perfect for a picnic, outside party or family gathering. If you’ve a glut of strawberries, you can even whizz up a jug full anytime. And right now, you can still make a batch in time for tonight’s Diamond Jubilee Concert.
This particular recipe for Strawberry Fizz Cocktail uses a cordial made from fresh fruit and it really is easy to make. Simply pop the fruit in a pan and simmer with sugar and water until the fruit has flavoured the syrup. Strain and bottle, then pour a little into a glass and top up with water and ice, or try the serving suggestion, below.
For the strawberry syrup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 400g strawberries
- 100g granulated sugar
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Extra strawberries,
- slices of lemon,
- SuperValu soda water and SuperValu lemonade
1. Roughly chop the strawberries and put in a pan with the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml water. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the strawberries to break down, mashing with a spoon to help them on their way.
3. Strain the strawberry mixture through a sieve resting over a bowl, stirring well with a wooden spoon to extract all the juice.
4. Pour into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
5. To enjoy, pour 6 tbsp syrup into a large jug. Add chopped strawberries, lemon slices, mint and ice, then top up with SuperValu soda water or lemonade. Taste for strength – you may need to add a splash more syrup or water – then pour among eight glasses.
Nutritional info: Per serving: 25cals / 0g fat / 0g sat fat / 6g carbs / 6g sugar / trace salt
So we’ve told you what we’ll be drinking tonight, this delicious pink fizz with the kiddlies. But what will you be drinking?
Top Tip: this drink is perfect as a treat in the lunch box. We sometimes pop it in one of these bottles on a Friday as a treat on “Fun Friday”. Something you can look forward to at lunchtime, and as a way to mark the end of the week!
The Lunch Box Lady x